Friday, June 12, 2009

My Favorite Sentence

One of the longest and my favorite sentence that I have recently found or read in any books. It’s a line from the story of O Henry in the short story collection titled “Next to reading matter”

I can’t figure out why I love this particular sentence so much. Probably it could be the length or the words of the message. Here goes the sentence or call it a paragraph in precise.

My spirits sank. I was not there to listen to such a world-old hypothesis – to such a timeworn, long-ago-refuted, bald, feeble, illogical, vicious, patent sophistry – to an ancient, baseless, wearisome, ragged, unfounded, insidious falsehood originated by women themselves, and by them insinuated, foisted, thrust, spread, and ingeniously promulgated into the ears of mankind by underhanded, secret and deceptive methods, for the purpose of augmenting, furthering, and reinforcing their own charms and designs.

Hopefully I find more interesting and beautiful sentences as I continue with the O Henry’s 100 selected short stories, a Wordsworth Classics.

0 comments: