Thursday, April 5, 2007

Too Much Hatred In You Is A Hazard

I am a very descent guy as I describe myself. I believe in humanity and courteousness. Recently I found myself which turned my definition negative which I used to define myself. I have tamed so much hatred toward Indians in me that I found out that I am not me any more. My experience goes this way.

While working in a company in Biratnagar I had a chance to meet a very good man from India. Not being my colleague we became good friends though. In fact he was my supervisor. Our age was somehow same but he was more qualified than me. We used to roam around, and he gave me a helping hand on so many uncountable occasions that I can’t state, he bought me a pack of cigarette which I took it as a souvenir before we departed as my contract was over and so was his. He went back to India. After some times he came to Kathmandu and we were together again at least for a day. He took me to a restaurant in Thamel and took me to a movie at Jay Nepal. He asked me to accompany him for his shopping and I agreed. We went to Thamel looking for a pair of shoes as we had a very difficult time finding one which would fit him. He was more than six feet and no shoes were available of his size. The shopkeepers there would show no interest on my friend just because he was an Indian. None of the shopkeepers were willing to show him the shoes which could probably have been kept in their go down. My friend was surprised by the way he was dealt by those shopkeepers and had to return empty handed. He asked me if all the shopkeepers were always like this in a very innocent way. He had no such feelings like annoy or disrespect towards those shopkeepers. I was so ashamed at how my fellow country men treated an Indian. I just could not help my self from turning to the opposite direction and walk away silently. The best thing that my friend had was he never got humiliated or insulted in any way. The height of pity I had on my friend was unexplainable. I was burning inside myself because of my own feelings. I thought that every other people like those shopkeepers had the same feeling as I did. We hated Indians very much. The filthy mentality possessed by me and my country men is so disgusting. I just couldn’t forgive myself because the hatred I had and specially all other Nepali like me against Indians would have brought the same kind of pathetic feeling in some one else’s too. This was the day I learnt that a human is human. Political boundary, race, ethnics, religion should not come in between a human and a human. The world is a tiny place and those who have come here would live a very short life. Let’s not ruin this short life hating each other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

really its sad that we got hatred for Indians in legacy perhaps,even 2 feet child calls 6 feet vegetable vandor "oe bhaiya yaha aau ta"and our parents who never miss teaching norms and ettiquates never see this that their child should learn bit more courtesy !
NO !Its not I am blaming Nepali only but perhaps our neighbour should give it one think perhaps?after all we are going to live next to each other FOREVER .LAXMI

Anonymous said...

Really it's sad that we got kind of hatred for an Indians in legacy ,perhaps?Even 2 feet kid calls 6 feet vegetable vendor "Oe vaiya yata aau ta"and our parents who never miss teaching norms and etiquette never thought their child needs one more lession on "courtesy".

NO!Its not that I am blaming Nepali only ,perhaps our neighbour should give it a thought once?After all we are going to live next to each other forever.

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with your feelings and to a certain extent i go with laxmi too..... yeah we do have got hatred for Indians in legacy, and most of the parents even though they teaches their offspring about norms and ettiquates and a lil bit of courtesy too..... when it comes to an indian forgets all and follows the same old legacy of hatred and scorn towards them, which is not at all fair, cause we are all human and the word itself means that we need to be kind hearted, not vice-versa!!!!
so it's time to change our attitudes and act to be a HUMAN.
amit.