Wednesday, January 31, 2007

higest one day record


The final game between South Africa and Australia. Of the best of five series both of them had two wins each. I don't remember the toss but it was Australia batting first. More than 150 runs scored by the skipper Ponting helped them post a huge total of 434 runs the world record. Every other batsmen contributed well. The south africans now needed 435 runs to win which was just out of reach perhaps we should we say. The world record of highest number of runs in a one day cricket. Before the africans came to chase the mighty total I could make out another record being made. The africans would come out and try to play big shots and somehow end up loosing wickets and loose the match by the highest margin. I did not like watching the second half as I thought my favorite team would loose. Later when I watched the match when the africans were halfway to the total I was shoked. I couldn't miss anymore of the action. Graeme Smith butchered the australian bowlers and so did Herschelle Gibbs. The match was poised the either way. Wickets kept falling though the target seemed to be reachable. Chasing 434 runs in an ODI is not a joke. Now the africans crossed the 400 mark for the first time chasing with limited overs and wicket remaining. I prayed to god saying these africans have come so close please god let them win. Probably god heard me and they reached the total with one or two balls to spare. Wow there were tears all over the stadium. Me too did shed a tear in joy. I really felt sorry for the australians but there is no word to console their loss. No matter what, one has to loose and it was not indeed south africans day. Several records were made in that match. Most number of runs scored, most number of sixes hit, largest target chased, highest number of runs conceeded in a ten over spell and so on.

0 comments: